Common Name: Cilantro, Sookhadhania, Malli, Chinese/Mexican parsley
Coriander has been used as a unique ingredient throughout history, dating back as far as Babylonian times. It has always been a spice that is rare, valuable and bounded to superstitions and magic. Since ancient times, it had an authentic reputation as an aphrodisiac substance for love and lust. Additionally, it is also considered a safety and protection provider.
Native Countries :
The origin of coriander seeds had been traced to Italy, however, due to its rich culinary use, it is cultivated all over the world. The biggest cultivator of this precious herb is Mexico followed by Canada, Russia, Tunisia, Ethiopia, China, India, Morocco, Hungary, Malta and Argentina.
Appearance and texture :
The small rounded lemon-scented Cariando seeds are an extremely flavourful herb with a distinctively crunchy texture. These hard tiny spiny woody seeds with longitudinal ridges have a characteristic appetizing odour and peculiar taste.
These slightly green to beige coloured spice simply enrich the depth and breadth of the flavours.
Taste and aroma
Coriander seeds are the handiest spice for kitchen experts to bestow mystic taste edges to food. The complementary flavour and dominant aroma of coriander seeds make it an ideal choice when it comes to enhancing the taste quality of any table serving. The taste profile of cilantro is controversial because it encloses a multifaceted flavour within its tiny sprinkle.
The slightly mellow & delicately earthy flavour with refreshing citrus touch make it the delicacy of signature dishes. These tiny spiny seeds have an amazing combination of gently floral sweet, mildly tart and warmly citrusy flavour that miraculously empowers the taste of any cuisine at optimum level. Sookhadhania (coriander seeds) has a potent long-lasting musky aroma with lively woody/ peppery top notes with stunning balsamic undernotes. It derives its unique captivating smell from its volatile essential oils( d-linalool) and oxygenated monoterpenes. The sweet floral aroma and earthy taste are just irresistible.
The coriander seeds have incredible tempting culinary uses most prominently in Asian, Mexican, Spanish and American cuisines. It is the most convenient and taste effective ingredient in Indian curries, stews, stir-fries, spice rubs, soups, curries, pork chops, sauces etc. Furthermore, it goes well in dough making for the shell of differing fried filling stuff. It can also be used for earlier tempering and seasoning dishes . Many South Indian and Pakistani dishes are incomplete without coriander seeds.
Health benefits and medical uses
Apart from a delectable taste and aroma, it has a series of health benefiting properties. These tiny magical seeds are part of tasty food as well as medicine. It can help to
- Improve eyesight :Vitamin A is a central constitute of coriander which naturally cure eye problems. Coriander juice with honey helps to enhance eyesight.
- Improve Immunity: It has paramount importance in human beings. It is fully packed with Vitamin C which stimulates immunity. Thus, It is one of the best alternatives to boost up immunity and assist in growth.
- Weight lose: Coriandrium Sativum upgrade the overall body metabolism and burn the unwanted fat. Therefore help in reducing body weight.
- Combat premature ageing: Coriander seeds have vital vitamins such as Vitamin A, folic acid, beta carotene and vitamin C which ultimately give anti-ageing effects.
- Lower Blood sugar: These seeds are a rich source of antioxidants, essential vitamins thus help the body to regulate blood sugar levels and treat diabetes.
Coriandrium Sativum can stay in the kitchen approximately for three to five years in an airtight container.